5th Annual MRU Colour-U-Blue
The photo stop pictures and all other event pictures can now be found on our Facebook page. And check out the recap video on our YouTube channel!
A special thanks to our volunteers and our sponsors ATB Financial and Gord's Running Store – we couldn't do it without you.
See you all next year!
Kick off your school year by getting MRU blue! Grab your friends and go blue crazy in Calgary’s original colour run where the only thing that matters is having fun (NOT speed!). Choose to do it on your own or as part of a team (team members register separately; give your team name at the event).
Walk, run or wheelchair 4.5 km
Prerequisite(s): 16+ years
|10:30 am||Check-in OPENS|
|11:50 am||Participants move to start line|
What you get:
- event t-shirt (you’ll receive it at the event)
- exclusive Colour-U-Blue sunglasses
- clean-up station and use of Rec Centre showers
“Blue Blast Zones”:
- You’ll pass through “Blue Blast Zones” along the route before crossing the finish line.
- You choose how much paint: the further you are from our Blue Crew volunteers, the less paint you’ll get on you.
What’s in the paint?
We’re using wet and dry paint (both washable and non-toxic): washable finger paint and powdered paint made from cornstarch and food colouring.
- Walk, run or wheelchair – take your time and HAVE FUN.
- The route is an “out-and-back” route – easy smeazy. Watch for the “turn-around” sign so you know when to know when to turn around.
- You can turn around at any point if you need or want to.
- Because this event is all about fun, we’re not timing you – but feel free to time yourself.
- You’ll be walking/running on the street – the City of Calgary will close the curb lane for you.
There are a lot of spots on campus to park, here is information to make it easier for you. For more information on parking lot locations and fees, click here.
- All of MRU’s parking lots will be open as usual. Regular parking rates are in effect.
- Your best options are parking lots 1, A and B – they are nearest to the start/finish line at the MRU pond.
More information coming soon.
- The official event t-shirt is your “proof of registration” – you MUST wear it.
- Bring your phone in a zip-lock bag so you can capture getting MRU blue and have a chance to win our Twitter/Instagram #colourUblue contest.
- Leave your valuables at home or lock them in your vehicle.
- Sorry, no ear buds or headphones (or anything else that may reduce your hearing) – it’s not safe and besides, you don’t want to ruin them with paint!
- Please leave all pets at home (you can show them the photos later).
- Imagine that you’re going to have a crazy-fun food fight – great, now dress for that.
- In addition to your blank canvas (a white Colour-U-Blue t-shirt), try to wear white and more white!
- The paint may not completely wash out of your shoes and clothes (including your fancy undergarments) – Do NOT wear anything that you are attached to (unless you like the I-was-just-in-a-paint-fight look).
- Do NOT wear jewelry of any kind (watches, earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, etc.).
What about my HAIR?
- Oil your hair before the race with coconut oil, olive oil, or leave in conditioner. This will make it easier to wash out the paint later, especially for those with highlighted or light coloured hair.
- Some colour runners/walkers wear a hat, scarf, or bandana to cover their hair.
- Pre-lotion your skin (we suggest sunscreen!) to make it easier to wash the paint off later.
- Wear lip balm to make it easier to wash the paint off later (unless you’re going for the blue lipstick look).
- Our volunteers will try to aim for your blank canvas (your event t-shirt), but no one has perfect aim and there could be wind and other interfering forces at work (example: your friends)!
- Wear your MRU Colour-U-Blue sunglasses to help keep paint out of your eyes. If you wear contacts, bring your cleaning solution.
- If you do get some paint in your eyes, we’ll have eye wash bottles at all “Blue Blast Colour Zones” and at “Participant Check-in” (at the finish line).
- Some colour runners/walkers will wear a scarf or bandana over their mouths when they run through the “Blue Blast Colour Zones” for additional protection.
STEP 1: Remove the excess paint at the finish line.
- BEFORE going inside MRU, you MUST REMOVE the EXCESS PAINT.
- Visit the “Clean-off Station” near the finish line – look for the giant sign.
STEP 2: Hit the showers (free showers will be available inside the Rec Centre).
- Remove excess dry powder from clothes (do this outside!) and your hair BEFORE adding COLD water.
- Your hair: Shake out the dry powder from your hair (outside!). Rinse out the oil/conditioners you cleverly applied before the race with COLD water. You should almost be colour free, now wash your hair as you normally would. Still some colour left? Don’t panic, it’s common for hints of colour to stick around for a few washes. Think of it as free highlights ... or rock a hat!
- Not showering at MRU? To avoid getting paint in your car, bring some towels to place on your car seat.
- Remove all excess dry powder before adding water.
- Wash your coloured stuff separately in COLD water and use a “booster” agent (e.g., Oxi Clean).
- The colour won’t come all the way out of your white event shirt, so wear it with honour! But just about everything else should clean up fine.
- When you look down and see a hint of blue on your shoe, smile and think of the fun time you had. Eventually, it’ll be all gone.