5th Annual MRU Colour-U-Blue
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!
Early-bird fee ends September 9 | Regular fee ends September 16
Check out our 2016 promo video.
BE HERE. BE BLUE.
Kick off your school year by getting MRU blue! Grab your friends and go blue crazy in Calgary’s original colour run where the only thing that matters is having fun (NOT speed!). Choose to do it on your own or as part of a team (team members register separately; give your team name at the event).
Walk, run or wheelchair 4.5 km
Prerequisite(s): 16+ years
|Early Bird (ends Sept. 9)||$15.00||$ 20.00||$ 30.00|
|Regular (ends Sept. 16)||$ 20.00||$ 25.00||$ 35.00|
|Event Day (if not sold out)||$ 30.00||$ 35.00||$ 45.00|
|9:30 am||Check-in OPENS – Participant check-in tent is by the MRU pond|
|10:40 am||Participants move to start line – you MUST wear the event shirt (check-in closes, t-shirt decoration station closes)|
|11:45 am||Finish line blue explosion – you get 3 of your own paint bombs|
|12:00 pm||Prizes awarded, food truck lunch is on us! (4 truck to choose from)|
|12:15 pm||Cheer on your MRU Cougars soccer team on Stadium Field|
What you get:
- white event t-shirt (you’ll receive it at the event)
- exclusive Colour-U-Blue sunglasses
- t-shirt decoration station
- your own blue paint bombs for finish line blue explosion
- Modern Sound Co. DJ at start/finish; music at all paint stations
- clean-up station and use of Rec Centre showers
- food truck lunch is on us – 4 trucks to choose from NEW
- Photo Stop NEW
- watch MRU Cougar soccer game (free)
What to bring:
- extra clothes (including clean shoes)
- bandana, scarf or hat (protect your hair)
- zip-lock bag to keep your phone paint-free
- towels (for showering & for covering your car seat)
- sunscreen, lip balm
Where do I pick up my event t-shirt?
- You’ll get it on event day when you arrive at Participant Check-in (by MRU pond). You MUST wear it.
- Wear it over top of what you’re already wearing OR change in the washrooms nearby.
- If you’re wearing a costume, make sure the entire event t-shirt logo is visible.
- If you’d like to pick up your event shirt in advance, email email@example.com.
“Blue Blast Zones”:
- You’ll pass through 5 “Blue Blast Zones” along the route before crossing the finish line.
- You choose how much paint: the further you are from our Blue Crew volunteers, the less paint you’ll get on you.
- Just before you cross the finish line, you’ll receive 3 of your own colour bombs (for the “colour explosion”).
- After you cross the finish line, make sure to WAIT for the “blue explosion” >>> there will be a countdown.
What’s in the paint?
We’re using wet and dry paint (both washable and non-toxic): washable finger paint and powdered paint made from cornstarch and food colouring.
- Walk, run or wheelchair – take your time and HAVE FUN.
- The route is an “out-and-back” route – easy smeazy. Watch for the “turn-around” sign so you know when to know when to turn around.
- You can turn around at any point if you need or want to.
- Because this event is all about fun, we’re not timing you – but feel free to time yourself.
- You’ll be walking/running on the street – the City of Calgary will close the curb lane for you.
Download the official Colour-U-Blue route map here.
There are a lot of spots on campus to park, here is information to make it easier for you. For more information on parking lot locations and fees, click here.
- All of MRU’s parking lots will be open as usual. Regular parking rates are in effect.
- Your best options are parking lots 1, A and B – they are nearest to the start/finish line at the MRU pond.
- Minimum 4 people per team.
- Each team member registers separately.
- We’ll collect your team name when you check in at the event.
- IMPORTANT: For this to work, ALL your team members need to know what your team name is.
- We’ll announce the winning teams and give out the prizes at the end of the event.
- NOTE: Your team can only compete in 1 team category (see team categories below).
Team Prizes (gift card for each team member):
Each team member registers separately. Give us your team name at the event.
- Team with the wildest costumes (shirt logo must be fully visible).
- MRU residence community with the most participants.
- MRU program/faculty with the most participants.
- SAMRU group or club with the most participants.
- Group of friends team with the most participants.
Individual Prizes ($100 gift card for each winner):
3 best costumes (event shirt logo must be fully visible). NOTE: If you’d like to pick up your event shirt in advance, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Photos and Contests:
A professional photographer will document the fun – find yourself in the photos on MRU Recreation’s Facebook page.
Before taking your own photos, we recommend wrapping your phone/camera in plastic wrap or a zip-lock bag.
- Make a stop at the Photo Stop! (TIP: Best time to take your own photos is AFTER all the paint has been thrown.)
- NEW - Show off the Colour-U-Blue Snapchat filter
- Post using #colourUblue on Instagram or Twitter for a chance to win one of three prizes
Prizes are chosen based on our favourite photos – contest closes Tue, September 23.
Photos from the event can be found @MRUrecreation on all platforms
- The official event t-shirt is your “proof of registration” – you MUST wear it.
- Bring your phone in a zip-lock bag so you can capture getting MRU blue and have a chance to win our Twitter/Instagram #colourUblue contest.
- Leave your valuables at home or lock them in your vehicle.
- Sorry, no ear buds or headphones (or anything else that may reduce your hearing) – it’s not safe and besides, you don’t want to ruin them with paint!
- Please leave all pets at home (you can show them the photos later).
- Imagine that you’re going to have a crazy-fun food fight – great, now dress for that.
- In addition to your blank canvas (a white Colour-U-Blue t-shirt), try to wear white and more white!
- The paint may not completely wash out of your shoes and clothes (including your fancy undergarments) – Do NOT wear anything that you are attached to (unless you like the I-was-just-in-a-paint-fight look).
- Do NOT wear jewelry of any kind (watches, earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, etc.).
What about my HAIR?
- Oil your hair before the race with coconut oil, olive oil, or leave in conditioner. This will make it easier to wash out the paint later, especially for those with highlighted or light coloured hair.
- Some colour runners/walkers wear a hat, scarf, or bandana to cover their hair.
- Pre-lotion your skin (we suggest sunscreen!) to make it easier to wash the paint off later.
- Wear lip balm to make it easier to wash the paint off later (unless you’re going for the blue lipstick look).
- Our volunteers will try to aim for your blank canvas (your event t-shirt), but no one has perfect aim and there could be wind and other interfering forces at work (example: your friends)!
- Wear your MRU Colour-U-Blue sunglasses to help keep paint out of your eyes. If you wear contacts, bring your cleaning solution.
- If you do get some paint in your eyes, we’ll have eye wash bottles at all “Blue Blast Colour Zones” and at “Participant Check-in” (at the finish line).
- Some colour runners/walkers will wear a scarf or bandana over their mouths when they run through the “Blue Blast Colour Zones” for additional protection.
STEP 1: Remove the excess paint at the finish line.
- BEFORE going inside MRU, you MUST REMOVE the EXCESS PAINT.
- Visit the “Clean-off Station” near the finish line – look for the giant sign.
STEP 2: Hit the showers (free showers will be available inside the Rec Centre).
- Remove excess dry powder from clothes (do this outside!) and your hair BEFORE adding COLD water.
- Your hair: Shake out the dry powder from your hair (outside!). Rinse out the oil/conditioners you cleverly applied before the race with COLD water. You should almost be colour free, now wash your hair as you normally would. Still some colour left? Don’t panic, it’s common for hints of colour to stick around for a few washes. Think of it as free highlights ... or rock a hat!
- Not showering at MRU? To avoid getting paint in your car, bring some towels to place on your car seat.
- Remove all excess dry powder before adding water.
- Wash your coloured stuff separately in COLD water and use a “booster” agent (e.g., Oxi Clean).
- The colour won’t come all the way out of your white event shirt, so wear it with honour! But just about everything else should clean up fine.
- When you look down and see a hint of blue on your shoe, smile and think of the fun time you had. Eventually, it’ll be all gone.