Resources and Training
Upcoming Seminars, Workshops and Presentations There are currently no upcoming seminars, workshops and presentations.
Research Development Officers
One of ORSCE's core priorities is supporting researchers in the development of their research proposals and grant applications. ORSCE's Research Development Officers (RDOs) offer one-on-one support in developing your grant proposals. The RDOs can work with you from idea to proposal submission, or review proposals at any stage of completion.
Contact a RDO for:
- Strategic Advice: The RDOs can sit down with you one-on-one and discuss your research direction, project idea, funding options and provide strategic direction in your options for funding your research.
- Grants Development: You have a plan and need to get started on the grant proposal. Contact an RDO – we can provide some direction in how to approach proposal development, provide strategies for some of those particularly tricky areas (budgets, for example) and read provide feedback on drafts. The earlier you make contact, the more we can help.
- Final Proposal Review: Just need an additional set of eyes for a final review of your proposal? Contact us a week before the MRU internal application deadline.
Grants Support - Winter 2018
To better support our faculty with their Tri-Council grant (SSHRC) applications, the Office of Research, Scholarship and Community Engagement has an agreement with an external consultant to provide grant development services.
This support is available to all faculty who are preparing applications for the 2017-18 funding cycles (Insight, Connection).
To gain access to this funding, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following details:
- Your Faculty/Department
- The opportunity to which you wish to apply
- A brief one paragraph description of your project
The ORSCE will review your request and then connect you with the consultant.
ROMEO is an effective one-stop-shop for researchers, signing authorities and reviewers, designed to streamline submission through approval processes. Users can login to check the status of an ethics application, or start a new grant application, or complete a few review assignments.
The ROMEO User guide provides insight on how to use the platform starting from its home page navigation to learning how to submit application and event forms.
General information about the ROMEO Research Portal including important dates about workshops and other updates, and important how-tos.
ROMEO User Guide
More information about the Research Portal detailing parts and techniques on how to use the platform.
ROMEO Research Portal
Login to the ROMEO Research Portal to access applications, events, and other research related materials.
Software and By-Appointment Training Sessions
SPSS (Statistical Package for the Social Sciences) is a software package used for statistical analysis, data management and documentation.
It offers the following features:
- Descriptive statistics: Cross tabulation, Frequencies, Descriptives, Explore, Descriptive Ratio Statistics
- Bivariate statistics: Means, t-test, ANOVA, Correlation (bivariate, partial, distances), Nonparametric tests
- Prediction for numerical outcomes: Linear regression
- Prediction for identifying groups: Factor analysis, cluster analysis (two-step, K-means, hierarchical), Discriminant
For assistance in handling/interpreting your SPSS data, please contact us at (403) 440-6069 to set up an appointment.
NVivo is the #1 software package for qualitative data analysis. It was designed for qualitative researchers working with rich text-based and/or multimedia information, where deep levels of analysis on small or large volumes of data were required.
NVivo accommodates a wide range of research methods, including:
- network and organizational analysis
- action or evidence-based research
- discourse analysis
- grounded theory
- conversation analysis
- literature reviews
- mixed methods research
- the Framework methodology.
NVivo supports data formats such as audio files, videos, digital photos, Word, PDF, spreadsheets, rich text, plain text and web and social media data. Users can interchange data with applications like Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, IBM SPSS Statistics, EndNote, Microsoft OneNote, SurveyMonkey and Evernote; and order transcripts from within NVivo projects, using TranscribeMe (© Wikipedia).
If you have any questions or require more information about ROMEO, please contact us.